The Very Large Array (Or Visiting the VLA)

Even though many months have passed since our final day in New Mexico, I still recall the events of our visit to the Very Large Array. When we last left you, Chris and I had spent the evening staring into space (literally) at an Earthship rental in Taos, New Mexico. When we awoke the next morning we packed the car and headed south. Our schedule did not permit us to see any sights while in Taos (very unfortunate) but we drove through the town on the way out of dodge. It seems like a neat place. Maybe on our next visit we'll squeeze in some sightseeing there.

We left mid to late morning in order to stop in Albuquerque to have lunch at the Loving Vegan restaurant. Traveling throughout the Land of Enchantment ended up being a little challenging for we two vegans but the Loving Vegan was simply amazing. I had never had such excellent Asian food even prior to going vegan. I'll be sharing a more depth analysis in another post, however, devoted to food and not to the VLA.

As soon as our bellies were filled with yummy Asian food, our journey continued. We spent approximately 5 hours on the road between Toas, Albuquerque, and Socorro. There does stand a gift shop and visitor center at the Very Large Array. I believe our arrival occurred between 3 and 4, and the center admits its last visitor at 4 o'clock. I recall a minor panic as we drove down the isolated road toward the VLA. Chris adores everything related to space and astronomy. She had been determined to purchase a souvenier and if we had pulled up with the doors closed I can imagine how horrible a day that would have been. But we were in luck! In fact, there were so many visitors that the lovely ladies running the registers kept the shop open for nearly the whole time we were there.

Once our purchases were made, Chris and I headed out on our self-guided tour. We made it just a few paces when I felt something in my pants leg. Then I had a sharp pain in my buttocks! I trotted back to the restroom as discreetly as possible. In my stall I discovered a squished bee in my jeans. I guess I smacked it pretty good when it bit me... Right in the bum.

Now that that crisis was taken care of, we continued on our self-guided tour.

Playing with parabolas
A sort of greeting and educational area is set up at the beginning of the tour. Visitors will encounter a sundial in the shape of a telescope and a set of parabolas to communicate with, which are very fun. Essentially, you can whisper into one and hear it loud and clear in another. We nerded out a considerable amount over them! Even to the point of discussing whether or not to construct some in our backyard if we ever have a house.

As you wind your way along the gravel paths, it is difficult not to be impressed with the immensity of the dishes towering over you. See the image below for some perspective!

Those are some big dishes!

I tested my steadiness and managed to compose three great panoramas without my tripod. Here's my favorite.

The Very Large Array (VLA)
It was an educational trip. To summarize, the purpose of the VLA is as follows:

"Astronomers using the VLA have made key observations of black holes and protoplanetary disks around young stars, discovered magnetic filaments and traced complex gas motions at the Milky Way's center, probed the Universe's cosmological parameters, and provided new knowledge about the physical mechanisms that produce radio emission."

This is according to Wikipedia

You may also recognize the site from any number of films including Contact and Independence Day.

I have read that some visitors are lucky enough to witness the dishes moving during their time there. Alas, for us, this did not occur.

Oh, be sure to explore the whole site. You can get a great view from one of the buildings on the second story landing.

If you're a prospective visitor please realize that cameras are allowed but cell phones are not. As mentioned before, the center is open daily until 4pm for self-guided tours but is closed on some holidays. Guided tours also take place on weekends. Presently, tickets for adults are $6. For more information, visit the website here. Also, if you're unable to visit in person or simply want to know more before going, you can partake of a virtual tour by clicking here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wolf Mountain Trail at Pedernales Falls State Park

Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Puye Cliff Dwellings