Destination Wedding

It is only sensible that the first story I share with our readers be the one of our wedding day. While we have been adventuring for many years together already, it is the point at which this particular expedition really began. The two of us started planning our big day in January. We had a few options we could choose from; we could have a symbolic ceremony in Texas and eventually have a legal ceremony elsewhere, we could elope to a location where same-sex marriage is legal, or we could have a small ceremony inviting friends and family in another state where gay marriage is allowed. Ultimately, the last one is what we chose.

New Mexico seemed like the most appropriate option. It was close to where we were and was located  within a reasonable distance for the rest of our families. Having never been there before, I wasn't sure where to search for wedding venues first. I was most familiar with Santa Fe by reputation. Coworkers had told me how beautiful it is there, how many art galleries you could shop at, you know, that sort of thing. So, one day, I used Google image search to look at wedding photos for Santa Fe "woodland venues." A place called Hyde Memorial State Park popped up more than once. Surrounded by trees and full of rustic charm, I couldn't get it out of my mind. There was also the low, low price of $500 for the day... I had pretty much been sold then and there.

I took this information and added unique lodging and nearby tourist spots to the mix. I presented my findings to Chris and she agreed that everything looked wonderful. The whole thing was finally set in motion!

With a lot of help from both of our moms, we did our best to plan an eco-friendly ceremony and reception. We bought paper plates and used biodegradable cups and silverware as well as fabric linens to be re-purposed at a later date. We served vegan food provided by Whole Foods and our vegan cake was created by a local bakery, Tree House Pastry Shop. Instead of diamonds we opted for handmade silver and cubic zirconia created by a southwestern artist. I also had my heart set on having a candy buffet, so to lessen the carbon footprint a bit I purchased all-natural and organic candy from the Natural Candy Warehouse online. A friend also made us vegan s'mores on a stick and I provided homemade peanut butter puffed rice treats. Finally, our favors were ordered from Green World Project; tiny portable spruce seedlings. Oh, and instead of asking for more possessions we requested that our guests gift us items from an "alternative registry" for our adventure honeymoon.

Our officiant, Marilee, was a self-described humanist celebrant. Her demeanor and performance were exceptional. I couldn't recommend using her for your own wedding enough.

Here are a few photos from our wedding.

We had planned to have the ceremony outside but it began to rain on the way there. Eventually, the rain turned to hail. Thankfully, we managed to move everything inside before it was ruined.

We two brides with all of our guests.

Posing for portraits in the freezing temperatures was challenging. I may be smiling on the outside but I was grimacing on the inside.

Dad and I shortly after the ceremony.

Chris getting her dance on with family.

My brother and his girlfriend pose at our photo booth.

Cake time! We chose a lemon raspberry cake.

Just as we had envisioned it...

I made peanut butter rice treats. I also constructed the serving tray!

One of many family photos taken outside beneath the aspens.

The two of us had really wanted the forest theme to shine throughout the whole thing but to not be overwhelming at the same time. Being surrounded by nature definitely helped. Two giant ravens scoped out our party shortly after the hail subsided. Some attendees told us they saw deer on the road home. And the autumn color brought everything together.

That day was the perfect sendoff for our next chapter in life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wolf Mountain Trail at Pedernales Falls State Park

Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Puye Cliff Dwellings